Wednesday, February 9, 2011

“Love Story” – Movie vs. Book


I found very interesting the fact that we first read the book and then watched the actual movie. It was the first time that I’ve done something like this. If I would be asked on whether I would have liked it vice versa (first to watch the movie and then read the book) in a strange way I would have answered, no. And surely this wouldn’t be the case back two months ago where I did not find that interesting reading books, novels or poems. However, after taking Golbal Literature class, I’ve completely changed my view on the literature stuff.

I loved the book more than the movie! I imagined different characters, places, and events in my imagination when reading, and found it very strange when watching the movie. Ex. I expected Oliver Barret to be a more charming guy, with great body… (Not like in the movie).  I also hated the same music that it kept repeating scene after scene – the theme of Love Story by Francis Lai.

The movie also fails to imply some key points in that are shown in the book, but rather skips them just to finish the story quicker.  The main points which I thought would have fitted very well in the movie are: After Ollie kisses Jenny; she says she doesn’t like it. And then she says she doesn’t like the fact that she likes it. That was a great line that I really expected it to be on the movie. Another scene that is not shown on the movie is in the end. In the book Oliver ends up crying in his father's arms and learns to let go, but in the movie he sort of resists and goes to a bench in a park and just stays and remembers memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment